Short Biography, Information & Facts about Thutmose III, the famous pharaoh and king of Egypt
Biography, Facts and information about the life of a Pharaoh
The term pharaoh was the title of an ancient Egyptian king who was considered to be a living god and worshipped as a deity. The pharaoh was an absolute ruler of Egypt, both the political and religious leader.
Short Biography of the life of Thutmose III
The history, facts and information about Thutmose III, a famous pharaoh of Ancient Egypt. The following biography information provides basic facts about the life Thutmose III:
- Thutmose III was also known as Thutmosis or Tuthmosis
- Meaning of the name: "Thoth is Born"
- Egyptian Period / Kingdom: New Kingdom
- Dynasty: Thutmose III ruled in the Eighteenth Egyptian Dynasty
- Name of Previous Pharaoh: Thutmose II 1492 BC -1479 BC
- Years of Reign: 1479 -1425BC
- Succeeded by: Thutmose III 1479 BC -1425 BC & Queen Hatshepsut 1472 BC -1457 BC
- Father: The father of Thutmose III was Thutmose II
- Mother: His mother was Iset
- Chief Wife of Thutmose: His chief wife and consort was Hatshepsut-Meryetre (not to be confused with his stepmother Queen Hatshepsut). Other wives were Satiah and Nebtu
- Children: Amenemhat, Amenhotep II, Beketamun, Iset, Menkheperre, Meryetamun, Meryetamun, Nebetiunet and Nefertiry
- Name of Vizier: Rekhmire
- Year of Death: 1425BC
- Location of the Burial Site: Valley of the Kings
- Tomb reference number: KV34
- Name of Egyptologist who discovered the burial site, or tomb, of Thutmose III: Victor Loret (1859 - 1946)
- Biography and accomplishments or why Thutmose III was famous: He became pharaoh at a very young age of about the age of 7, and Hatshepsut who was both his aunt and stepmother, ruled as regent until he became of age. During this period Hatshepsut assumed the title of King of Egypt and even wore male regalia of a pharaoh and donned the traditional false beard of a pharaoh. He had no alternative but to accept the role of his stepmother and was probably lucky to have survived with his life. He clearly received substantial military training which allowed him to spend his formulative years in the army and foreign campaigns leaving Hapshepsut control of Egypt. He must have truly resented her role as after her death Thutmose III an attempt was made to remove Hatshepsut from Ancient Egyptian historical records. A became a great warrior king who launched successful military campaigns Canaan, Syria, Nubia and Mitanni in Mesopotamia increasing the wealth and power of Egypt.
Each section of this Ancient Egyptian website addresses all topics and provides interesting facts and information about the Golden Age of Pharaohs and of Thutmose III. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Ancient Egyptian Kings - their life, family, reign, dynasty, important dates and events and accomplishments.
Short Biography of Thutmose III
- Interesting biography, facts and information about Thutmose III
- Short Biography about the life of Thutmose III the famous Egyptian Pharaoh
- Short Biography, Facts and History of Thutmose III
- Why Thutmose III is remembered and famous facts and events in the reign
- Key facts, dates and events in the life and biography of Thutmose III
- Information, facts, accomplishments and important dates