Short Biography, Information & Facts about Merneptah, the famous pharaoh and king of Egypt
Biography, Facts and information about the life of a Pharaoh
The term pharaoh was the title of an ancient Egyptian king who was considered to be a living god and worshipped as a deity. The pharaoh was an absolute ruler of Egypt, both the political and religious leader.
Short Biography of the life of Merneptah
The history, facts and information about Merneptah, a famous pharaoh of Ancient Egypt. The following biography information provides basic facts about the life Merneptah:
- Merneptah was also known as Merneptah
- Egyptian Period / Kingdom: New Kingdom
- Dynasty: Merneptah ruled in the Nineeenth Egyptian Dynasty
- Name of Previous Pharaoh: Ramses II, the Great
- Years of Reign: 1213 BC – 1203 BC
- Succeeded by: Amenmesse 1203 BC – 1199 BC & Seti II 1199 BC – 1193 BC (dispute regarding the throne of Egypt)
- Father: His father was Ramses II, the Great
- Mother: His mother was Isisnofret
- Chief Wife: His chief wife and consort was Isisnofret followed by Takhat
- Children: Little information about his children but it is believed that his son Seti-Merneptah became Pharaoh Seti II.
- Year of Death: 1203 BC
- Location of the Burial Site: Valley of the Kings
- Tomb reference number: KV8
- Name of Egyptologist who discovered the burial site, or tomb, of Merneptah: Howard Carter (1874 - 1939)
- Biography and accomplishments or why Merneptah was famous: Merenptah was the thirteenth son of Ramses the Great - his 12 younger brothers having died during the long lifetime of his father. Even Merenptah was probably in his early sixties when he became Pharaoh. There were a few military battles between Syria and Lebanon and the Hittites. The Hittites were an Indo-European people who entered Mesopotamia and destroyed the Babylonian empire. The capital of the Hittite kingdom was Hattusha, now in modern Turkey. The Hittites had fought Egypt for control of North Syria. Ramses the Great had established a treaty with the Hittite Empire, although it only took full effect in the reign of Merneptah. Merenptah's mummy was found in the royal cache at Deir al-Bahari.
Each section of this Ancient Egyptian website addresses all topics and provides interesting facts and information about the Golden Age of Pharaohs and of Merneptah. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Ancient Egyptian Kings - their life, family, reign, dynasty, important dates and events and accomplishments.
Short Biography of Merneptah
- Interesting biography, facts and information
- Short Biography about the life of Merneptah the famous Egyptian Pharaoh
- Short Biography, Facts and History of Merneptah
- Why Merneptah is remembered and famous facts and events in the reign
- Key facts, dates and events in the life and biography of Merneptah
- Information, facts, accomplishments and important dates