Short Biography, Information & Facts about Seti I, the famous pharaoh and king of Egypt
Biography, Facts and information about the life of a Pharaoh
The term pharaoh was the title of an ancient Egyptian king who was considered to be a living god and worshipped as a deity. The pharaoh was an absolute ruler of Egypt, both the political and religious leader.
Short Biography of the life of Seti I
The history, facts and information about Seti I, a famous pharaoh of Ancient Egypt. The following biography information provides basic facts about the life Seti I:
- Seti I was also known as Sety aka Sety Merenptah
- The name Seti means "of Set" referring to the god Set - The name Merenptah means "beloved of Ptah"
- Alternative spellings of the name:
- Egyptian Period / Kingdom: New Kingdom
- Dynasty: Seti I ruled in the Nineteenth Egyptian Dynasty
- Name of Previous Pharaoh: Ramses I 1292 BC – 1290 BC
- Years of Reign: 1290 BC – 1279 BC
- Succeeded by: Ramses II aka Ramses the Great 1279 BC – 1213 BC
- Father: His father was Ramses I
- Mother: His mother was Queen Sitre
- Chief Wife: His chief wife and consort was Queen Tuya
- Children: Ramses II, Tia & Henutmire
- Year of Death: 1279 BC
- Location of the Burial Site: Valley of the Kings
- Tomb reference number: KV17 (aka "Belzoni's tomb")
- Name of Egyptologist who discovered the burial site, or tomb, of Seti I: Giovanni Battista Belzoni (1778 - 1823)
- Biography and accomplishments of Seti I: Seti I was a great military commander, a warrior king who waged successful wars against Libya and Nubia and the Hittite civilisation.
- Why Seti I was famous: Building the Great Temple of Abydos, of Seti I and the Osirion (aka Osireion). Seti I began the construction of the Great Temple and it was completed during the reign of his son, Ramses the Great. It is made of limestone, L-shaped and was originally 550 feet wide. The Osirion is a tomb, or shrine to the Ancient Egyptian god Osiris. Another important artifact found in the Great Temple of Set I is the Table of Abydos which is located in one of the tunnels. The Table of Abydos is viewed by many as of equal importance as the Rosetta Stone is to Egyptian archaeology and contains a rare chronological list of cartouche names of most the Ancient dynastic pharaohs providing details and dates of the Ancient Egyptian pharaohs and their dynasties.
Each section of this Ancient Egyptian website addresses all topics and provides interesting facts and information about the Golden Age of Pharaohs and of Seti I. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Ancient Egyptian Kings - their life, family, reign, dynasty, important dates and events and accomplishments.
Short Biography of Seti I
- Interesting biography, facts and information about Seti I
- Short Biography about the life of Seti I the famous Egyptian Pharaoh
- Short Biography, Facts and History of Seti I
- Why Seti I is remembered and famous facts and events in the reign
- Key facts, dates and events in the life and biography of Seti I
- Information, facts, accomplishments and important dates