Egyptian Magic Spells
Egyptian Magic Spells
Many Egyptian Magic Spells were contained in the Pyramid Texts, the Coffin texts and the Book of the Dead. The Egyptian Book of the Dead was an ancient survival guidebook which contained magical spells and instructions to ensure safe passage through the dangers of the Underworld. Protective spells were cast and amulets containing magic spells played an important role in the Ancient Egyptian burial rituals. A papyrus scroll containing spells from the Book of the Dead was often buried with wealthy Ancient Egyptians to help them leave their tombs and make their perilous journey through the underworld.
Egyptian Magic Spells and the Underworld
The Book of the Dead contained nearly 200 Egyptian Magic Spells designed to help with the tests and trials that would be met in the Underworld. The dangers of the underworld included a variety of obstacles including fearful beasts, various traps, demons and a long series of tests. The correct magic spells would need to be recited to pass each test to guarantee safe passage through the terrifying trials which led to the Hall of Two Truths where their actions in their mortal lives would be examined - the Egyptian Magic Spells were essential for the Day of Judgement.
The Magic Spells from the Book of the Dead
The magic spells from the Book of the Dead were contained in different chapters. Some of the magic spells from the Book of the Dead included the following:
- Magic Spells relating to the burial ritual
- Magic Spells relating to the safety of the heart and soul of the deceased - including a spell to open the tomb for the soul and to let a man return to see his house on earth
- Magic Spells relating to safety in the Underworld - for not dying again, for not rotting, for preventing a man's head be cut off, spells of transformation into the forms of a snake, phoenix, hawk, swallow etc.
- A magic spell for entering the Hall of Truth and Spell 125, the 'Declaration of Innocence' which consists of denials such as "I have not killed, I have not robbed and I have not lied" made to Osiris and the 42 judges of the court
Magic Spell 156 - Magical Amulets
The magic spell 156 from the Book of the Dead relates to the power of the Goddess Isis and was recited over a knot amulet made of red jasper which was placed over the heart on the body of the deceased for protection against wickedness, sometimes referred to as the Isis Amulet. The words of spell 156 from the Book of the Dead calls upon Isis:
"The blood of Isis, the spells of Isis, the magical words of Isis shall keep this great (or shining) one strong, and shall protect him from whosoever would harm him\do to him such things as he abominateth."
Egyptian Magic Spell 125 from the Book of the Dead
The Magic Spell 125 is the best known spell of the Book of the Dead and was included in every papyrus buried with deceased Egyptians. Spell 125 deals with the dead soul's judgement by Osiris and the 42 judge deities who were faced in the Hall of the Truth in the Underworld. The soul of the had to recite the "declaration of innocence" which was addressed to Osiris and consisted of the denial of sinful actions in order to assure Osiris that he has lived a good life. The deceased then addressed the 42 judges by name and deny a further 42 transgressions. Only by giving the correct responses would the deceased be tested with the feather of truth and if successful guided to the Afterlife by Osiris. The denials of sinful actions such as " I have not lied, I have not robbed, I have not killed" etc. contained in the magic spell 125 has led to speculation that these were the basis of the Ten Commandments contained in the Bible. Moses was raised in Egypt and would have been familiar with the Egyptian magic spells.
Egyptian Magic Spells from the Book of the Dead
The following Egyptian Magic Spells are taken from the Book of the Dead:
- Magic Spell 06 - for not working in the underworld
- Magic Spells 22 & 23 - spells to give a mouth to the deceased
- Magic Spell 24 - to bring words of power
- Magic Spell 26 - to give a heart to the deceased
- Magic Spell 27 - to prevent the heart of a man be taken from him in the underworld
- Magic Spell 43 - for not letting a man's head be cut off from him in the underworld
- Magic Spell 44 - for not dying again in the underworld
- Magic Spell 45 - for not rotting in the underworld
- Magic Spell 50 - for not entering to the god's execution block
- Magic Spell 78 - to assume the form of a divine hawk
- Magic Spell 83 - to assume the form of a phoenix
- Magic Spell 87 - to assume the form of a horned snake
- Magic Spell 132 - to let a man turn himself back to see his house on earth
Egyptian Magic Spells
Each section addresses all topics and provides interesting facts and information about the Golden Age of Pharaohs and the famous Gods and Goddesses of Egypt. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of Egyptian Gods and the Pharaoh Tutankhamun!