Egyptian Food and Drink varied according to status and wealth. The wealthy Ancient Egyptians had a more varied diet which included meat whereas the diet of poor Egyptians was quite healthy, consisting mainly of bread, fruit, fish, beer and vegetables such as onions. The Ancient Egyptians dined at low tables and ate with their fingers. Food was generally served on earthenware dishes but the wealthy Ancient Egyptians were served their food on dishes made of:
- Faience (Faience was a strong greenish blue glass-like material, consisting of crushed quartz, lime and alkali, which first made in Predynastic Egypt)
Egyptian Food - Meat and Poultry
Only the Wealthy Egyptians ate meat. Meat was expensive because Egypt had limited land for grazing as it was needed for growing crops. The meat and poultry which was eaten by the Ancient Egyptians included the following:
- Pork (although this was considered unclean by the priests)
- Chickens ( limited quantities until the Romans invaded)
Egyptian Food - Fish
The fish which was eaten by the Ancient Egyptians included the following:
Egyptian Food - Bread
The bread which was eaten by the Ancient Egyptians was the mainstay of every diet. Grain was the most important crop from wheat and barley which enabled the Egyptians to produce both bread and beer. The grain was stored in massive granaries which were often attached to the royal palaces and temples. The Ancient Egyptians Different types of bread included the following:
- A flat loaf (similar to pitta bread)
- Bread made in moulds producing a variety of different shapes and sizes
- Luxury Bread flavored with honey, nuts and dates
- Pastries and cakes were also a luxury food for the rich
- Half baked loaves of Barley Bread were also used to make beer
The bread produced by the Ancient Egyptians was often tough, gritty and coarse, due to the grinding methods where minute particles of sand and grit were left in the flour. Over the years the continuous consumption of bread wore down the teeth which were reduced to stumps.
Egyptian Food - Dairy Products
The dairy products which were eaten by the Ancient Egyptians included the following:
Egyptian Food - Vegetables
The vegetables which were eaten by the Ancient Egyptians included the following:
- Pulses such as beans, peas, chick peas ns lentils
- Sesame seeds, linseed and olive oil
Seasonings included salt, aniseed, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, fenugreek, marjoram, mustard and thyme.
Egyptian Food - Fruit
The fruit which were eaten by the Ancient Egyptians included the following:
- Mandrake fruit
- Apple type of fruit from the Persea tree
The Ancient Egyptians did not have sugar. Honey was used to sweeten food and the poor used fruit juices and dates.
Ancient Egyptian Food Preservation
Ancient Egyptian Food preservation methods included salting and drying food.
Each section of this Egyptian website addresses all topics and provides interesting facts and information about the Golden Age of Egypt. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of Egypt, the Ancient Egyptians and of the Pharaoh Tutankhamun, King Tut.